Friday, January 26, 2018

Second update this week!

I usually only do updates once a week, but this week called for another one!

As you know, Kelly took my picc line out Tuesday and the doctor gave me antibiotics for the swelling and skin issues. It’s a good thing, because it was indeed infected. It got super red and a rash went down my whole arm and the red area around it got really warm to the touch. Today, the warmth is gone and the rest is looking better, but there's a huge knot where the hole in my arm is, where the tube/line went into my arm.

Wednesday, I went in for radiation as usual, and when I finished, they all came into the room and gave me a certificate of completion and told me I was done! I was confused because I have another week of it to do, but they said since the tumor was responding so well to the treatment and the exam showed it was 75% smaller, that Dr. Outlaw decided I didn’t have to do the last week because the Brachytherapy will knock it on out. Debbie said I could ring the bell, but Kris wasn’t with me so I didn’t do it. I decided to wait until I finish Brachytherapy and then do it. I want him to be there with me when I do it because he’s just as much a part of it as I am and without him, I couldn’t have done it.

Thursday (yesterday) I had to do the blood transfusion. I got two bags of blood. It was weird mentally, watching blood go into my body and know that it isn’t even mine. I mean, it is now, but you know. Physically, no, I couldn’t feel it going into my body. Kris kept cracking vampire jokes. I sure do love him. He will never understand how much, or how thankful I am that he's been with me through every step of the way.



Everyone keeps asking if it made me feel better. That’s a hard question to answer because I didn’t feel really bad before I got it. Just weak and real pale. Afterwards, I slept for a while (thanks Benadryl!) and when I woke up, I definitely didn’t feel as weak and I had color to my face again. I don’t get exhausted doing simple things now, like throwing laundry into the dryer. I guess I didn't realize how weak I was because I'd gotten so used to it, and didn't know how weak I truly was until I wasn't weak anymore. So the answer is yes, I do feel better. I'm incredibly thankful for the people who selflessly donate blood. I will definitely be paying it forward, if I'm allowed to donate. I don't know how it works. I'll have to ask.

My stomach still feels wonky now and then, and I still get nauseated quite a bit. Definitely right now at this moment. I wish I could pinpoint what causes it to feel gross but I can’t. It’s completely random. I do know the smell of hot dogs makes me sick. That's sad because I love hot dogs.

I go in Monday morning at 5:30 to have my platelets checked again, and if they’re at an acceptable level for surgery, then we’ll go on and do the biopsy and put in the Smitt Sleeve. If they’re still too low, we’ll just have to reschedule, again. Kris is on night shift that day, so he will be with me. He’s worried about me being alone and in pain that night, but I’ll manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment