I started Brachytherapy this past Friday. In case you're just joining in on the blog, brachytherapy is also called HDR, which stands for High Dose Radiation. It's done internally. This is how the first one went for me...
Unlike the external radiation, there was no Gas-X to take and no excessive amount of water to drink before each session. Instead, one hour before my appointment time, I have to take two pills: one is Dilaudid, which is for pain. The other is Valium, which is to make me relaxed and calm. When I got there, I got brought into the room to remove my clothes from the waist down & put on a gown. I was told to leave my socks on since the room is cold. Then I'm taken into the procedure room. I lay on a very narrow bed and my legs go up into stirrups. Not typical stirrups where your ankles sit in the little cup thing - nope, it's a long one. Everything from my knees to my feet go into the stirrups, and then they velcro a few straps over each leg. Then Angel (my nurse) tilts this table to where my butt is up in the air and my head is tilted down toward the ground, and then inserts a catheter into my peehole. This was not pleasant. It hurt quite a bit. I've never had a catheter put in when I was awake. She did put something on there beforehand to somewhat numb it, but it didn't help much. Anyway, one the catheter is in, she inflates some balloon up inside me to push my bladder away from the area that will be treated. After that, Dr. Outlaw comes in and inserts several metal rods into my smitt sleeve (the plastic tube they sewed into my vagina) to see which one is going to work the best for what needs to be done. This is also pretty painful, as you can imagine it would be. I mean, metal rods being put in and out of you, being tilted and shifted in different angles, it hurts. Once she found the one she wanted to use, Dr. Outlaw takes what felt like 40 yards of gauze (which is soaked in saline and KY Jelly for comfort) and packs it up into my vag. This is by far THE MOST PAINFUL PART. So as of that moment in time, I have a catheter, a balloon, a plastic tube, and metal rods inside me already. Now she's adding gauze. And the more she adds, the more painfully aware you become of all those things inside you. Everything hurts. It's taking everything in me to be still and not to move, and thankfully Vickie, the radiation tech, is up by my shoulders giving me pep talks and just talking to me about random things, trying to keep my mind off the process. She says just pretend I'm a turkey being stuffed for Thanksgiving, to which I immediately replied "Turkeys are dead!" They laughed, and then I did, and at least for a moment I wasn't thinking of the pain. But for real, OUCH. You think there's no possible way anything else is going to fit in there and she proves you wrong. Yall, I was never a slutty girl, my vag is not loose enough nor equipped to handle this type of load. Gah. Finally that's over, and then Angel pushes several big syringes of saline into the catheter to fill my bladder to max capacity. Then they very gently take my legs out of the stirrups and prop them up under a couple of pillows on the table. I get covered up with a few sheets, and then they tilt the table back flat and wheel my bed out into the hallway and down a million hallways. We end up in the room for a CT scan to make sure the placements of the rods (and everything else inside there) is exactly here it needs to be. Then we go back to the procedure room I was in and the waiting begins while they plan my treatment doses. This is serious business and takes a long time. This session took an hour and a half of waiting, which honestly I didn't mind. The only thing is you can not move! You have to lay there with the rod poking out of your vag and all that gauze and the full bladder and be as still as you possibly can. They turned on some music for me and Angel sat in there and talked to me for the majority of the time. I told her she didn't have to, but she said she had nothing else to do but paperwork and it could wait. We talked about lots of things and I enjoyed our conversations very much. I wish I could share them, but I am going to wait on that for now, but I'm super excited about some future plans! The other nurse came in for a bit and talked too, but she mostly stayed out there and did her paperwork while we waited. Finally, a man doctor comes into the room with some rolling machine. He hooks some wires from the machine to the thing in the closet, then some more wires from the machine to the rod sticking out of my vag. Dr. Outlaw says "It's showtime, see you in 184 seconds!" Wait what, that's only 3 minutes! Yes, the actual radiation part is 3 minutes. And I could feel it pulsing inside me. That part didn't hurt, just felt weird. When it was over, he came back into the room, unhooked the wires from my cooter-rod, then unhooked the other wire from the closet thing and left. Dr. Outlaw and the nurses come back in and she removes the gauze from in there. It felt... I don't know. In between uncomfortable and painful. She just kept pulling and pulling. You know the clown trick where they pull the colorful ribbon rope from his sleeve or hat and it just keeps coming and coming? That's what I pictured while it was happening. After that, she removed the rod and then Angel drained the saline from my bladder, and then removed the catheter. Again, OUCH. Although it wasn't as bad coming out as it as going in. After all of this, I am done. I get dressed and they rave about how great of a patient I was, how I must have a high pain threshold. I don't feel that way, because that shit hurt pretty bad... but they said if I saw how everyone else acted, I'd be amazed as how well I did. Hmm.
Overall, it was a long session. Started at 11, done at 3. Mercy. Only 4 more of these to go. Yay.
But then, I am done with it and all I'll have left is Immunotherapy for the trial.
Side effects from brachytherapy: Pain, obviously. Bleeding. Pain. Cramping. Pain. Soreness in the whole downstairs area. But considering everything they did, that's all to be expected.
As a result, everything we were supposed to do this weekend, I didn't do any of it. We were going to go to the St. Jude Joy of Life Ball last night, which I was really looking forward to because not only does the money go to St. Jude to help children with cancer, the band playing at the ball was Fly By Radio. First of all, I love them. Second of all, it seemed soo fitting that I'd see them at the end of my cancer journey because in a way, it started with them too. No, the band didn't give me cancer. But the night we went to see the play for my birthday back in September is the same night my symptoms got so bad that I knew it was time to call the doctor. So since they were at the beginning of it all, it was going to feel a little symbolic and awesome to me to see them at the end of it. But like I said, I didn't get to go. However -- my friend Erinn, who is on the committee of the ball, surprised me with a video clip of her and the band giving me a personal get well message and blowing me kisses. Kris saw it before I did and of course I got teary-eyed. It meant so much that she went out of her way to do that, and that they took time to actually do it. We also had a birthday party for a friend's twin boys and another event at my aunt's house and I just didn't go to any of them. I hope everyone understands. It's almost over y'all, just bear with me.
So anyway, that's the update on that. I get to go back this week and do it all again on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. But they said these won't be as bad as the first one. The first one is always the worst, they said. And at least now I know what to expect.
No comments:
Post a Comment