Tuesday, January 23, 2018

What a day.

Here’s an update for those following my kicking-cancer’s-ass journey: I went in for blood work today to check my platelets. They didn’t go up. They went down. My platelet count is now 25,000 so now I’m scheduled for a blood transfusion Thursday morning. My hemoglobin count is also very low.

Even with the low platelet count, they had to take a risk & remove the picc line from my arm because it was very red & swollen, and the skin was severely cracked and blistered and really hurt. Kelly (in the lab) is a fucking rockstar. They didn't want it removed yet because I was running a slight fever yesterday so they were afraid it was becoming infected. She had tried to get them t take it out last week since they said no more chemo, but they said no. But she fought tooth and nail for me today, and won this time. So now the picc line is gone and I just picked up antibiotics for it. I can't wait to be able to take a shower without a sleeve again. To feel the shampoo in my hair. To feel my hands in general!



Dr. Scalici did an exam on me today and said the tumor felt 75% smaller than when we started, so that’s awesome news! Now we just hope I can hang in there and outlive the tumor. #diebarbdie

Besides this, I’ve been doing very well since they stopped my chemo. As of today, I’ve been chemo-free for two weeks and for the most part, I feel so much better. I’m still doing radiation every day, and as long as my issues don’t cause me to miss any sessions, I will be done with external radiation a week from tomorrow!
Then starting next Friday, I’ll have 5 sessions of the internal radiation, called Brachytherapy. I was supposed to have the surgery tomorrow for them to put in the Smitt Sleeve, but they cancelled it due to the platelet count. It’s being rescheduled for Monday, I believe, in hopes that my counts are up enough by then. Tomorrow I have to go to radiation and then to the hospital to do labwork for the transfusion.

I haven’t been sick really since chemo. I have a little more energy. I no longer have the metal taste in my mouth, so I can use normal forks and spoons again. I can eat normal, but bland, foods again, but not quite whatever I want. My tummy isn’t ready for that. I can drink Dr. Pepper again! I could technically have a margarita or other drink if I wanted, but I’m not ready for that yet either. I want to wait until I finish everything and my stomach is normal again. Even the Dr. Pepper, I don't have much of. I've gone months without it, I can continue to survive without it. Best part is, I've been able to drive myself so that's a huge help!

Current side effects are still pain when I pee, diarrhea, occasional nausea, dizzy spells, and I lose energy quick if I try to do too much. This is all from radiation, so it’ll go away when I finish. I’m really pale right now but that’s due to the platelets. She said my color will come back after the transfusion and I’ll feel good again. Crazy thing is, I really don’t feel terribly bad right now. I did get real sick Monday night. Like stomach pains and then I threw up all over the bathroom, but I am almost positive that it was what I ate because I felt fantastic before I ate and almost immediately felt bad afterwards. Oh well. I was fine after I threw up.

So that’s what’s up right now. I’m hanging in there and keep telling myself it’s almost over and that’s about all I can do. I’m kinda bummed about going alone tomorrow. I'm worried that I may get dizzy after they draw more blood, but if that happens, I’ll just call someone or sit and wait til I feel better. I’m not doing anything to put myself in danger, don’t worry guys! Edit to update: my uncle Dewayne is coming to drive me to my appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment