Finally enough energy to check in and make an updated post. I hope everyone had a great Christmas.
Christmas Eve : I put the smaller two kids in bed at 9, and went to bed myself so I could have plenty of energy for Christmas morning. Riley was spending the night with us, so he and Kylie stayed up watching tv for a while longer. When we all got up the next morning to see what Santa left and do presents, I tried to be as normal as possible for them. Bouncing around, passing out gifts to everyone, scooping up wrapping paper and empty boxes along the way. You know how it is. By 9:30am, I was exhausted. Energy completely depleted. I rested after that for a bit and was feeling better. Sharon came over and cooked here, which sucked. I know she was trying to help since I couldn't get out, but her perfume was soooo strong and it was making me extremely nauseous even though I was taking my phenergan and zofran every 3 hours. I went and doubled up on it, and as soon as the nausea from the perfume smell subsided, the smells from all the food cooking turned my stomach again. I was trying super hard not to complain, because it's not her fault. My nose is just incredibly sensitive to smells now since I've started chemo and I HATE it. I found the peppermint oil Ashley gave me and kept sniffing it and that helped a ton, and was able to eat two small plates of ham, dressing, and green beans. That’s probably the most I’ve eaten in over a week. Seriously. Nanny took the two small kids home with her since I had chemo again the next day, and the two older kids went to their dads. Kris had to work night shift, so I was home alone and just went to bed.
Tuesday : Chemo again. Arrived at 7:45. Things went pretty smoothly today. Orders came out fine from the pharmacy and we were out of there by 1:30! Then went downstairs to radiation. This was my 5th radiation treatment by now. It’s super fast. Maybe 15 minutes tops, and that’s from sign-in at the desk to walking out the door to go home. Several people ask what it’s like. For this external radiation, I don’t feel anything. I take off my shoes, then lay on the bed in the mold they made of my body. Then they pull my pants and underwear down past my hips a few inches, and they line up the three X’s they’ve drawn on my hips and pelvis and then they send me into the donut. Take a picture with the CT scan to make sure everything is lined up, then radiation starts. It sounds like the engine of a motorcycle. That part last maybe 2 minutes. Then it slides me out, they pull up my pants and send me on my way. I don’t feel the radiation going into me but I do feel the effects. I can’t wear jeans. My skin is super irritated. I don’t like for it to be touched. It feels like a sunburn, but you can't see it. Jeans feel way too tight and uncomfortable even though I’ve lost 5 pounds already. So I’ve just been wearing leggings, but even those have to be pushed down pretty far so they’re not touching my stomach. It’s weird. I haven’t had any diarrhea or constipation yet, but they say I will. The most side effects are from the chemo. Dry mouth, even when drinking. Nausea, so much nausea. I’m currently taking Zofran and Phenergan, alternating them every 3 hours. Even at night, I set the alarm on my watch and wake up to take it because if I don’t, I’m in serious trouble.
This chemo went well. I even ate real food afterwards. Still only drinking water, Powerade and juice. I haven’t had a Dr Pepper in almost 2 weeks and I don’t even want one. Anyway, I did great all yesterday. Woke up today queasy, which quickly turned to nausea and dry heaving. So Kris’s mom took Zoey to Nan’s house and she came to drive me in for radiation. On the way, I called and got it set up to get some fluids in me. I do not want a repeat of last week. But in comparison, I was already doing better today. This time last week, I was puking nonstop and laying in the bathroom floor convinced I was dying, and I didn’t even care. Not today. Today I went and got the fluids and more meds to get help before it got to that point. It’s 8:50pm now and I’ve been able to eat a half bowl of ramen noodles, a banana and some pretzels, so that’s progress. I feel okay right now. No nausea, but my body is very tired. But again - MUCH better now than I was this time last week. I just keep telling myself I can do this.
No comments:
Post a Comment