One year ago today, on November 1st, I got the phone call that changed my life.
I was diagnosed with stage 2B cervical cancer. It was hard as hell. I struggled through treatments. I wasn’t as strong as I wanted to be, but damn it, I beat it! As crazy as it sounds, me getting cancer was one of the best things that ever happened to me. It brought some amazing people into my world, and took some others out of it. It showed me that people are good, for the most part. People I didn't even know were helping me. Complete strangers were donating to our gofundme. Nurses became friends.
It gave me a new outlook on everything. Things I used to think were so important, I now don't give a single shit about. I took a lot of things for granted.
This past summer was the best for me. We didn't go on vacation anywhere. We have our own backyard paradise. Having that pool and deck changes everything. The kids and I spent almost every day out there as long as it wasn't raining. Most weekends, we had friends over to swim with us. There's nothing better than floating around in the pool on a hot sunny day with a drink in your hand, listening to music and seeing smiles on your kids faces. Kris even bought a really awesome light that lights up the entire pool water in different colors, so we got a few night swims in with the bull. Oh, that bull. Good times...
Life is too short to be anything but happy, so live it for you. Don't worry about what other people think about it. ✌🏻
Shout out to my rockstar husband, Kris, for being there every step of the way. He drove me to the appointments. He slept in a chair beside me (and occasionally in the car) after working a 12 hour shift overnight while I got chemo, went back to work many nights, and drove me back for fluids the next morning after I threw up all night. He washed my hair for me & helped me shave when I couldn’t feel my fingers anymore. Cracked vampire jokes while I got a blood transfusion. Didn’t get mad or impatient with me for being too sick to eat the soup he made for me. All the while, still said I was beautiful. He helped me survive this. His love roared louder than my demons.
PS: Ladies, get yourself checked. Ignore the 3 year rule for paps. My last pap was 3 years before being diagnosed, down to the exact month, & look where that got me. I'll do another update soon. An actual update with the details of current side effects and everything else. Just kinda busy at the moment. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

No comments:
Post a Comment